What are you looking for?
Thursday, July 26, 2018

Queenin'

I recently had the pleasure to attend a paint and sip that was coordinated by some really positive young ladies in Brooklyn.


My daughter Ciara invited me so I wasn't sure what to expect... as she's 19.  As it turned out, I had a fabulous time! The food was good. They had endless mimosas and the energy was really positive. Let's not forget that amazing DJ! He played the best 90s hip and hop and R&B!


Young black women supporting other black women. It made me feel so good to be around other black women who are entrepreneurs, bloggers, writers and overall just kick-ass. It was really inspiring, so much so that I decided to really focus on re-starting my blog and really get more serious about my creative writing.




I'm proud of my daughter for attending functions like this where she can network and meet like minded young women. I really want to see her be successful and as long as she continues to surround herself with positive like minded peers, she will be.

Ok, getting back to the event... like I said, it was a paint and sip and the theme was "Queenin'" There were two speakers; young women who are building their brands and businesses in Brooklyn. The young lady that coordinated the event came up with a question for everyone to stand up and answer. The question was "What are you doing when you feel like you're Queenin'? Meaning, when are you at your best... wearing your crown?

I thought of the obvious answers... when I'm home being a mother and wife and when I'm working out? But those responses were just not enough for me, I felt like I needed to dig deeper. Needless to say, we didn't have time to go around to everyone, so I wasn't able to give me answer. But I went home still thinking about that question and what my answer would've been.

Then it just dawned on me. I was Queenin' at the event! I just loved being around so many other liked minded black women, sharing stories, networking and just having a good time. My day to day life doesn't consist of being around many black women. Working in corporate America, I'm around white women all day everyday. The black women at the company I worked for were lightly sprinkled within different departments and we certainly didn't have the time to congregate and "Queen" in the break room! It was hi and bye, a few pleasantries and we kept it pushing... unfortunately.


So when I get the opportunity to be around my sisters I am so grateful and happy, its like a blessing, especially if the experience is positive.


If you're like me, a busy working mom and wife, working in corporate America and simply don't have the time to gather with like minded positive black women, you know what I'm talking about.

We need to take more time out for ourselves and for each other and support each other's events.

Keep Queenin' !

Everyday Greatness

Martine





Add your comment

@martinesmusings